Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"Quote-Unquote"

I love quoting.
My favourites in the world of quotations are 1)the moral-despising, anti-religious, dance and art-loving Friederich Nietzsche and 2)the everlasting Shakespeare as well as the wise 3)Karen Blixen, Simone de Beauvoir and Coco Chanel. I also love the one-liners from materialistically orientated, surgically altered 93 year-old  Zsa-Zsa Gabor - queen of diamond-loving man-slapping exclamations.
Browsing quotation sites randomly today lead me to former President of the USA; Ronald Reagan.
I wonder if he ever spoke in anything BUT one-liners, knowing from his time in showbiz, that this was the direct way to success.
I randomly quote:
"Latinos are Republican. They just don't know it yet" 
How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin"
Eh, ok... 
Being President takes many waking hours but...
"I never drink coffee at lunch. I find it keeps me awake for the afternoon" 
and
"No matter what time it is, wake me, even if it's in the middle of a Cabinet meeting"
All that sleep seems good for the mind, since he demonstrates a profound understanding of peace making:
"Peace is not the absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means"
but the following leaves me wondering what Reagan's concept of peaceful means is:
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat "
"We should declare war on North Vietnam. We could pave the whole country and put parking strips on it, and still be home by Christmas"
Concluding in his own words that
'2Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book" 
I can only say that these quotations seem plenty enough for a book. Only too bad that he's too dead to write it...

No comments: